Integrated Pest Management and Fumigation Safety Training
A TOPS-funded Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and Fumigation Safety Training was hosted at Kansas State University's International Grains Program (IGP) January 24-26, 2017. The training was coordinated by Project Concern International (PCI); KSU's grain science and industry department; and the Industrial Fumigant Company (IFC). The training was facilitated by Dr. Bhadriraju Subramanyam "Subi" of KSU, Jerry Heath of IFC, and Christina Gagliardi of PCI.
The IPM and Fumigation Safety Training included three days of classroom and hands-on education to familiarize participants on best practices to mitigate commodity losses caused by insects and vertebrate pests, as well as proper and safe use of pesticides in the developing country setting. Over 40 participants who implement food distribution programming worldwide attended the training both in-person and via webinar representing many international organizations including: USAID, PCI, Catholic Relief Services, Food for the Hungry, Mercy Corps, Save the Children, TechnoServe, and World Vision.
Over the three days, participants learned about the importance of insect identification and understanding pest life cycle; integrated pest management techniques; the importance of proper sanitation; proper sampling and monitoring; as well as, pesticide safety and proper protective equipment. The knowledge and tools imparted to participants will improve commodity management and staff and community safety in communities served. Participants will implement replicate trainings to field staff implementing food distribution programs worldwide.
Learn more here, and access event recordings and resources below.
- Day 1, Part 1
- Day 1, Part 2
- Day 1, Part 3
- Day 1, Part 4
- Day 2, Part 1
- Day 2, Part 2
- Day 2, Part 3
- Day 3, Part 1
Event Presentations and Resources:
- Overview: Integrated Pest Management and Fumigation Safety Training
- Introduction to the Concepts of IPM
- Maintaining Quality of Food Aid Commodities Upon Arrival
- PEA Overview
- Pesticide Technology
- Phosphine Fumigation of Grain
- Port Fumigations
- The USAID Fumigation Programmatic Environmental Assessment: A Four Year Retrospective
- Management of Insects in Stored Commodities: Basics and Concepts
- Personal Protection and Gas Detection Equipment
- Practical Phosphine Fumigations
- Residual and Aerosol Insecticides
- Manual of Pest Control for Food Security Reserve Grain Stocks
- Seed Lot Sampling
- Threshold-Based Decision-Making