Community engagement vs. the Coronavirus
We are all affected by the global Covid-19 pandemic, and we are all part of the response to it.
The Sphere Handbook articulates the importance of community engagement and guides technical response to humanitarian crises. The link between these two is apparent; even in countries with strong healthcare systems, community engagement is key to ensuring the health response is a success.
- How can we uphold the right to life with dignity for all?
- How can we engage communities and encourage active participation?
- How can we build on the capacities, and meet the needs, of higher-risk groups, including older people and people with disabilities?
- How can the medical response be appropriate, community-sensitive, and relevant to people’s needs?
- How can we avoid misinformation, stigmatization, and fear?