Postharvest in Horticulture:
Reducing losses and improving quality to capture high-value crops
When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday, July 24
Where: University of California Washington Center
(1608 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Washington, D.C.)
Please join the Horticulture Innovation Lab for a briefing on improving postharvest practices for horticultural crops, July 24 in Washington, D.C.
Engage with experts on the topics of new technologies, challenges and opportunities in improving practices, scaling methods, and an overview of USAID's and the Horticulture Innovation Lab's efforts to reduce postharvest losses and improve food safety in developing countries.
The event will share findings and lessons learned from the Horticulture Innovation Lab’s first five years of work. As the Horticulture Innovation Lab prepares to move forward, this event is a chance to share your expertise with the program, provide critiques, and ask questions that can shape the future research in postharvest practices.
This event's agenda is subject to change. Registered participants will be notified by email before the event, if times or speakers change.
- 9:00 a.m. Horticulture Innovation Lab Overview and Importance of Improving Postharvest Practices
Elizabeth Mitcham, director, Horticulture Innovation Lab at UC Davis
- 10:15 a.m. Postharvest Technologies for the Developing World
Michael Reid, Horticulture Innovation Lab
- 11:00 a.m. Produce Food Safety: Challenges in Implementing Improved Practices
Jeffrey LeJeune, The Ohio State University
- 11:30 a.m. Facilitated discussion
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch on your own
- 1:15 p.m. Demonstrated Value of Improving Postharvest Practices
James Simon, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- 2:00 p.m. Regional Centers: Encouraging Adoption and Scaling of Technologies
Britta Hansen, Horticulture Innovation Lab
- 2:40 p.m. How Shared-Interest Savings Groups Can Facilitate Technology Adoption
David Miller, UC Davis
- 3:25 p.m. USAID's Postharvest Portfolio Under Bureau of Food Security
John Bowman, USAID
- 4:00 p.m. Adjourn
Please register to reserve your seat, as space is limited. Additional questions about the event can be directed to Caitlin Nordehn, email@example.com.