Guidance on Programming for Rural Sanitation
This guidance note is intended to encourage the development of rural sanitation programmes that:
• Align with and support government objectives, enhance government leadership and strengthen country systems;
• Enable large-scale and area-wide implementation (aiming for universal access);
• Achieve equitable and sustainable outcomes and services (including all aspects of the SDG sanitation goal, and wider government sanitation and hygiene objectives);
• Encourage evidence-based and learning-responsive programming (designed for context and for adaptive management); and
• Produce lessons and evidence that inform national policy, programming and practice.
The guidance note aims to use and build on existing guidance and sector materials wherever possible. The intention of the guidance is to bring together current knowledge and recent thinking on how best to achieve the sanitation SDG in a user-friendly format.