Provide technical advice and support to field management and the health / nutrition staff. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the nutrition aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health / nutrition authorities and other NGOs. Lead on all nutrition elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the nutrition programmes as well as contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan, providing emergency primary health care based on the basic package of health services as well as CMAM for conflict affected populations (Renk and Leer County) and host population/returnees with lack of access to health and nutrition care (Aweil Centre County). Medair also maintains a health and nutrition emergency response team that is able to respond to health or nutrition emergencies within any of the 33 states of South Sudan, such as disease outbreaks, population displacement or emergency levels of global acute malnutrition. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, with frequent travel to field locations, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
November 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the country nutrition programme and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and / or in surrounding regions, and proactively planning for responsible exit.
- Give technical advice to field managers and GSO on potential involvement in new nutrition interventions and internal nutrition capacity for implementation.
- Define appropriate policies, guidelines and protocols for nutritional aspects of Medair’s work.
- Provide technical support to nutrition teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits in conjunction with other field managers, ensuring that project objectives are met with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection (qualitative and quantitative), analysis and follow-up. Maintain an oversight of medicines and nutrition supplies.
- Ensure the continuous presence of active PCA with Unicef and FLA with WFP in a way to secure the uninterrupted delivery of key food commodities (GIKs) for the different nutrition projects
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Oversee selection, development and piloting of IEC materials (as needed).
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, Department of Nutrition, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships. Accompany donors on field trips.
- Represent Medair at nutrition cluster coordination, sector and bilateral meetings and with national and / or local government departments and any other relevant meetings or events.
- Support the nutrition cluster in identifying priority areas for nutrition response.
- Be involved in the recruitment of nutrition staff for the country programme. Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of nutrition staff. Ensure that all nutrition staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct nutrition budgets.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of nutrition programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times to GSO advisors as well as field staff.
- Maintain resource library for the nutrition team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Provide guidance on routine nutrition monitoring and evaluation activities.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in nutrition or in another relevant field such as medicine or nursing.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant post-qualification professional experience in a management position.
- At least 2 years of international experience managing and implementing an emergency nutrition intervention with CMAM and IYCF components.
- Experience overseeing projects specifically participatory mothers’ groups including IYCF in emergencies desirable; Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of CMAM programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere, CHS and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment, analytical, leadership and project management skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.