Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the WASH components of the country programme; provide capacity building for national and international staff; lead on all WASH elements of proposals and reports; coordinate and network at senior level with national and regional WASH authorities and other NGOs; champion best practice (international and Medair) in all WASH programmes.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, distribution of non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design & Oversight
- Responsible for the overall quality and performance of all Medair South Sudan WASH programmes.
- In close liaison with HQ WASH Advisor on matters of programme quality, objectives, and design.
- Define the country level scope for the WASH program based on beneficiary needs.
- Provide technical support to the WASH teams’ in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Research and recommend appropriate technologies for use in country WASH programs.
- Initiate and/or lead WASH Technical Working Groups (TWG).
- Ensure technical cohesion between the various country WASH programs.
- Responsible for ensuring all WASH project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudanese and international guidelines, policies and standards.
- Ensure sectoral integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices as outlined in Sphere guidelines, and Medair South Sudan guidelines to ensure quality of projects in liaison with Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Health and Nutrition Advisors, and under advice of HQ WASH Advisor.
- Recommend, review or develop WASH technical guidelines in liaison with GSO WASH Advisor.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Support in the necessary technical development of WASH staff by developing training opportunities.
- Support WASH Project Managers and Project Coordinators with the selection of appropriate technical knowledge when recruiting WASH staff.
- To reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members and beneficiaries.
- Liaise with stakeholders: beneficiaries, ministries, local government officials, UN agencies (UNICEF, UNOCHA) and NGOs, on overall WASH coordination for South Sudan.
- Monitor the project performance and make necessary recommendations.
- Identify and initiate corrective action related to changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs in consultation with senior management.
- Ensuring that good relationships are maintained and that Medair’s values are understood.
- Represent Medair to donor representatives when required, particularly for technical input.
- Responsible for input to all WASH external reports and proposals for the Country Programme.
- Responsible for providing accurate and timely feedback on all WASH technical and programme issues.
- Liaison for the Medair GSO WASH Advisor for all WASH related questions and issues.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with the team members, so as to uphold a spirit of unity and mutual respect.
Logistics & Finance
- Ensure quality and technical specifications of all WASH-specific supplies procured.
- Assist/advise the project managers in development of WASH project budgets, in collaboration with senior management and WASH Project Managers. Review field expenditures.
- Adhere to the security guidelines employed by Medair on site and when travelling.
- Provide advice and support on security related issues while on field trips when required.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydrogeology / hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years professional experience in WASH in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software/training (behaviour change communication).
- Understanding and appreciation of the links between the hardware and behaviour change.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of WASH programmes.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
HOW TO APPLY:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.