Manage the assigned WASH and infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). Enhance beneficiary participation; Manage and train local staff; Implemente control and quality procedures in cooperation with the PQM; Assess, plan and initiate new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals.
An Ebola outbreak was declared on 1/8/2018 in North Kivu in the areas where Medair is supporting Primary Health Care for populations affected by population displacement or epidemics. Since the start of October 2018, at least 360,000 Congolese citizens returned to the greater Kasaï region. The cause and timing of this movement are debated, with some sources citing a crackdown on artisanal mining in Northeast Angola, and other citing ethnic violence. Emergency multi-sectoral projects target displaced, insecurity affected and vulnerable populations in Nord Kivu and Ituri Provinces in the east of the DRC and the province of Kasaï in the central south of the country. Projects are focused on health, nutrition, WASH and infrastructure rehabilitation, with a strong emphasis on rapid response to emergency situations in complex and unstable environments and/or remote locations. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Nord-Kivu Province, DR Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in DR Congo. Interventions may be in remote and difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging and accessible only by foot. The security context is complex.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 1 year.
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned infrastructure and/or WASH project(s) in line with the activity plan and time frame of the project.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructure structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place especially helping to involve more the local communities drawing on similar experience in WASH projects, namely helping to improve the current comities setup.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made.
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the infrastructure WASH programme. Help implementing a better framework and give feedback.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability (BA) of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Assess existing project(s) activities in the assigned area(s) and recommend actions to be taken.
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Support the IW Advisor in analysing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets in order to improve project and budget quality and procedures.
- Manage and oversee the assigned team including recruitment, day-to-day management, training etc.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the assigned team(s), reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the WIA in developing security and safety guidelines in the workplace and ensuring healthy living conditions are being followed.
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Plan, construct and manage budgets for the assigned project(s).
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s), ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication and Coordination
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment for the assigned activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored and distributed correctly and timely.
- Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and HAP) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation (BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification relevant professional experience.
- At least 1 year management experience in a WASH context.
- At least 1-2 years’ work experience in WASH in a developing country.
- Willing to hike to reach remote areas. Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure. Able to cope with basic living conditions.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills, self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
HOW TO APPLY:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.