To plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). Assess WASH needs, design projects, write proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in WASH delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train WASH staff. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Emergency Relief and Recovery projects in countries of high vulnerability.
Generic Field Vacancies are based in a capital city or main field base in our programmes in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, D.R. Congo, Iraq, Madagascar, Nepal, Somalia, South Sudan and Syria (regional response in Lebanon and Jordan). This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. This position is frequently required in the Field. Normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years, 100%.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the assigned projects to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH projects, working to ensure both short / long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for WASH activities in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers, and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the WASH Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of project objectives, and opportunity for feedback.
- Provide staff coaching and technical supervision to develop ownership / responsibility for WASH activities.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the WASH, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking programmes.
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a WASH context; Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting.
- Experience in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Experience using GIS software desirable; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills; committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership; able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate; able to enforce procedures.
HOW TO APPLY:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.