Nepal Resilience Learning Event
The Nepal Resilience Learning Event was held in Kathmandu, Nepal on November 18 - 21, 2019. Missed the event? View the photos!
Building on the learning from two USAID Food for Peace-funded development food security activities that are coming to an end, Promoting Agriculture, Health, and Alternative Livelihoods (PAHAL) and Sustainable Action for Resilience and Food Security (Sabal), this event convened implementing organizations, resilience analysts, donors, and other stakeholders to:
- Share learning from PAHAL and Sabal about addressing resilience in Nepal.
- Explore the implications of learning and evidence for resilience programming, operations, and strengthening local capacity.
- Identify recommendations for USAID and implementing partners to strengthen resilience programming.
Learning Event Resources
- Opening Reception Keynote Summaries
- Day 1 Slide Deck
- Day 2 Slide Deck
- Governance and Social Inclusion: Sustaining Multi-sectoral Food Security and Resilience Programs
- Concurrent Sessions
- How Strengthened Nepali Groups Reduced Disaster Risk
- Operationalizing Alternative Livelihoods for Resilience
- Hot Off the Presses! Latest Learning from PAHAL and Sabal
- Strengthening Household and Community Resilience through Improved WASH: Implementing Adaptive, Integrated Programming in Nepal
- Increasing Savings and Access to Loans: Building Resilience or Reinforcing Cycles of Debt
- Food Systems Approaches
- Debrief of Concurrent Sessions
- Day 3 Slide Deck
- Adaptive Management: Applying What We Learn
- Recommendations for Strengthening Resilience Programming in Nepal
To ensure the richness of discussions at the learning event, participants should have foundational resilience knowledge. The following USAID online trainings are valuable starting points:
- An Introduction to Resilience at USAID and Beyond
- Resilience Training: Measurement, Livelihood Diversification, and Sustainable Poverty Escapes
The REAL Award also offers a broad array of resources, including guidance documents, case studies, and evaluation reports from multiple regions and contexts.
For a more in-depth review of resilience analyses done in Nepal, the following are recommended resources:
- Nepal Resilience Research Report (2017)
- Asia Resilience Review (2019)
- Resilience and Sustainable Poverty Escapes in Nepal: A Report
- Sustainable Poverty Escapes in Nepal: A Policy Implications Brief
- Shock Responsive Programming and Adaptive Management
Questions about this learning event? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.