The PRO-WASH & SCALE Award is excited to announce its first applied research request for applications (RFA)! We are soliciting applications to explore sustainability in the domains of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), agriculture, natural resource management (NRM), water resources management (WRM), livelihoods, markets, cash-for-work (CFW), vouchers-for-work, and food-for-work interventions on closed USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded development/resilience food security activities (DFSAs/RFSAs) as well as legacy Food for Peace-funded development food assistance projects (DFAPs).
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to generate robust evidence around under-studied thematic areas. The results from the sustainability review will expand the evidence base of interventions and approaches that foster lasting outcomes and contribute to the improved design, implementation, and overall effectiveness of programming by BHA implementing partners.
Local partners are greatly encouraged to apply!
Request for Applications Overview
Sustainability of WASH, agriculture, NRM, WRM, livelihoods, markets, CFW, vouchers-for-work, and food-for-work activities have been identified as a challenge by stakeholders across many RFSAs. This challenge is not unique to these activities as sustainability is a widely recognized challenge. A myriad of interconnected and dynamic factors such as financial, institutional, environmental, technical, and social factors are recognized to influence sustainability.
The purpose of this RFA, therefore, is to address knowledge gaps related to the sustainability of select cross-sectoral interventions implemented by RFSAs that have since closed. The study will provide actionable recommendations for future implementing partners in the selected domains.
Criteria for selecting county and activity of focus are listed in the RFA.
Under this RFA, PRO-WASH & SCALE will fund one Applied Research Award up to USD $200,000 for a study period of up to 16 months.
- November 1, 2023: RFA released
- December 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM ET: End of question period
- December 8, 2023 at 5:00 PM ET: Answers to questions posted
- January 15, 2024 at 5:00 PM ET: Due date for applications
Are you interested in learning more or have questions about this small grant? Please contact Beatrice Scheuermann, Small Grants Advisor, PRO-WASH & SCALE at PWS_Research@savechildren.org.
For background on closed activities listed in the RFA, please see a sample of reports below. Additional documents that may be of use to applicants can be found on the USAID Development Experience Clearinghouse and online.
- Final Performance Evaluation of the Amalima Development Food Assistance Project in Zimbabwe
- Final Performance Evaluation of the ASOTRY Development Food Security Activity in Madagascar
- Final Performance Evaluation of the ENSURE Development Food Assistance Program in Zimbabwe
- Final Performance Evaluation of the Fararano Development Food Security Activity in Madagascar
- Impact Evaluation of the Strengthen PSNP4 Institutions and Resilience (SPIR) Development Food Security Activity (DFSA)
- Final Report - Ethiopia Endline Study: Quantitative Assessment of Food-for-Peace Development Food Assistance Projects (DFAPs)