Food Security and Nutrition Network
Select Language

The Role of Wild-Caught Fisheries in African Development

Event Details
Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
USAID/FFP, 555 12th Street NW, Washington, DC 20002 and Online

What is the role of wild-caught fisheries in achieving FFP's food security, nutrition and resilience goals? A new USAID report highlights important contributions of wild-caught fisheries to African development including:

  • Fish is a highly nutritious food that contributes to food security and livelihoods for over 400 million Africans in both inland and coastal areas;
  • Wild-caught fisheries support livelihoods for millions of people and well-managed fisheries can alleviate poverty, strengthen resilience and serve as a valuable component in a diversified food security strategy in many African countries;
  • Marine and freshwater fisheries in Africa employ 93% of people in the fish production sector, and aquaculture employs the remaining 7%

Despite their critically important contributions to development, Africa's wild-caught fisheries are at risk of decline, decreased productivity and collapse due to poor management. There is an urgent need to reform and strengthen wild-caught fisheries management. Join USAID's Office of Forestry and Biodiversity and FFP to hear key findings and discuss how FFP programs might address wild-caught fisheries management. 

Space is limited. If you or someone from your organization is interested in participating in-person, please email you name, title and email to by August 14. Your participation will be confirmed shortly thereafter.