About the Creative Adaptation Award
Are you a changemaker? Has your program made a locally-led innovation in agriculture, NRM, or livelihoods? Tell SCALE about your creative adaptation for a chance to document your learning and spread the word!
In the last few years, the effects of accelerating climate events, the global pandemic, and the push for racial justice have disrupted the status quo and forced important changes in the way we all work. One valuable effect of these changes has been increasing attention on the power of partner organizations at the local level to drive program design, innovation, and implementation. SCALE wants the world to know about your good work!
SCALE is seeking examples from partner organizations at the local level about creative program innovations and adaptations they have spearheaded that address challenges in the sectors of agriculture, natural resource management (NRM), and/or off- and non-farm livelihoods.
Submissions are welcome from partners implementing USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded emergency and development activities, as well as those working on other donor-funded programs that have relevance to the food security implementing community.
Examples may include, but are not limited to:
- Introduction of new approaches and technologies that enable local partnerships
- Adoption of digital technologies, apps, or social media that support local solutions to global issues
- Creating space for greater ownership of processes by partner organizations
- New approaches to creating local jobs
- New business strategies to support locally-led supply chains
- Innovative and inclusive strategies for data gathering and monitoring
How to Apply
Application for the 2022 Creative Adaptation Award happens in two easy steps:
- Create a 3-minute video in English, French, Spanish, Arabic, or Kiswahili highlighting your adaptation and how you have adapted to compounding crises. This is where we really want to see and hear the difference your adaptation has made for communities!
- Then, give us your pitch! Use this form to briefly outline your adaptation or innovation and submit your video.
Your video will be provided to a donor panel and posted for public voting on fsnnetwork.org and other websites. By submitting your video, you give permission for the video to be used and shared in this way.
Questions on any part of SCALE's 2022 Creative Adaptation Award may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winners of the 2022 Creative Adaptation Award will be selected by a Donor Panel and public voting in August. Winning approaches will be featured in a Spotlight Webinar in mid-September. Winning adaptations will also be highlighted on the FSN page and newsletter to raise awareness about innovations that are being developed and the changemakers responsible for them.
Deadlines and Timeline
Phase 1: Send us your Pitch and Video! | July 15 – 29, 2022
Use the short form available here to pitch your adaptation or innovation to the SCALE team. Programs are welcome to submit more than one innovation.
Candidates will submit a video of no more than 3 minutes (MP4 format) telling us about your adaptation or innovation. We want to hear how you are making a difference in communities and looking at challenges in a whole new way. Bring your pitch to life for us!
The submitted video must be a maximum of 3 minutes in duration. Submissions exceeding 3 minutes may be disqualified;
- Videos must be uploaded as one single file of high quality in a standard YouTube format (16:9 aspect ratio);
- Videos should be in MP4 format and the file size of each video should not exceed 1GB
- Videos may not contain any copyrighted music, images, or brand names without proper approval
- SCALE will provide subtitling for videos submitted in French, Spanish, Arabic, or Kiswahili
- Consider filming the video in a location related to the adaptation or innovation you are telling us about
- Make sure speakers are visible (for example in the middle of the screen)
- Film your video in landscape mode (horizontally)
- Avoid jargon if you can; audience members can have very different levels of experience and knowledge
The judges will look for engaging and inspiring video submissions. Your video entry will be judged on:
- Relevance of your entry to agriculture, natural resource management (NRM), and/or livelihoods approaches
- Technical quality of the innovation/adaptation
- Creativity and inspiration
- Potential for replication and impact
- Applicants must be a partner organization at the local level to qualify
Phase 2: Voting begins! | August 2 – 19, 2022
Voting will open in early August. There are 2 anticipated categories of award:
- Donor’s Choice Award (selected by a select group of donor representatives)
- People’s Choice Award (selected through an open voting platform)
Phase 3: Winners are revealed! | September 5, 2022
SCALE Creative Adaptation Award winners will be featured in a Spotlight Webinar in mid-September and highlighted on the FSN page and newsletter to raise awareness about innovations that are being developed and the changemakers responsible for them.
If you have any questions or would like additional guidance, please reach out to email@example.com.
The SCALE Award is a USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded capacity strengthening, applied research, and knowledge sharing initiative. Implemented by Mercy Corps in collaboration with Save the Children, SCALE works to strengthen the impact, sustainability, and scalability of BHA-funded agriculture, natural resource management, and off-farm livelihood activities in both emergency and development contexts.