Scenario planning is a central component of effective adaptive management. It is a practical, strategic, and intentional activity that helps teams and organizations to:
- Anticipate, plan, and be prepared for changes
- Respond effectively to changes in operating contexts
- Build a team culture that values continuous learning and adaptation
Created by IDEAL, this course provides foundational knowledge and practical tools for why and how to conduct scenario planning to improve your ability and preparedness to work successfully during circumstances outside your control.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the value of scenario planning for effective program implementation and adaptation
- Learn how to facilitate a process with your team to develop a scenario plan, alternative approaches for implementation, and a structure for adapting plans based on context changes
- Is this course for me?
If you will be leading or actively participating in the process of scenario planning, this course will give you a solid grounding, clear process, and relevant tools and examples. It is applicable for Emergency Programs and Resilience Food Security Activities.
Those central to scenario planning often include:
- Program Managers
- Strategic Learning Advisors
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Managers
- Deputy Chiefs of Party
- Chiefs of Party
- How long will it take?
About 1 hour. You do not need to complete it all at once. You can return later and pick up where you left off.
- How much does it cost?
This course is free! All you need to do is create an account (or log in) using the link below.
- How do I access the course?
You will need to log into the free learning platform (Kaya) and access the course (using the link below). Please follow the directions on the login screen to sign in or create an account.
Workshop: How to Facilitate Scenario Planning
Facilitated by IDEAL, this 90-minute live, online workshop will help you to facilitate the scenario planning process with your team. It will be of value to those who will lead their team/organization through the scenario planning process. This session is an opportunity to work with peers and our coaches on how to:
- Design a scenario planning exercise for your team/organization
- Troubleshoot common challenges with the scenario planning process
- Communicate the value of scenario planning among your colleagues
Interested in the workshop? You must complete IDEAL’s Introduction to Scenario Planning course (linked above) which includes a workshop interest form. Workshops are scheduled on a rolling basis (based on interest expressed) and are open to all implementing partners who complete the online course.