Here you can access a number of PRO-WASH tools, learning briefs, videos, webinar recordings, and training materials that have been customized for partners working on market-based approaches in rural sanitation.
Market-based sanitation (MBS) is an approach to improve sanitation by facilitating linkages to and/or building the sanitation market of goods and services for which the customer makes a full or partial monetary contribution toward the purchase, construction, upgrade, and/or maintenance of their toilet from the private sector. It does this by strengthening domestic private sector supply of and stimulating and activating customer demand for sanitation goods and services.
Visit the PRO-WASH page to learn more about WASH interventions through capacity strengthening, knowledge-sharing, and applied WASH research opportunities.
Resources and Materials
Below is a list of resources about Market-Based Sanitation.
- Learning Briefs and Videos
- How to Use Human-Centered Design for Sanitation Products
- How to Assess the Size of a Sanitation Market and Segment It
- How to Strengthen Market-Based Sanitation Strategies Using a Geographic Information System
- A Market-Based Strategy for Improved Latrines and Handwashing Products in Niger
- Research Reports
How might we design a user-desirable, affordable, commercially viable, environmentally sustainable, and technically feasible home latrine solutions for the haor and char areas of Bangladesh? PRO-WASH commissioned iDE to work with the SHOUHARDO III Resilience Food Security Activity to research sanitation solutions for flood-prone zones in the haor and char regions of Bangladesh. iDE conducted human-centered formative research, rapid prototyping, and participatory in-depth interviews with customers, potential service providers, local staff, and relevant stakeholders. Reports from the HEAR, CREATE, and DELIVER phases of this research and the resulting practical, operational, strategic, and innovative solutions for working in this complex environment are available.
In Niger, PRO-WASH worked with PSI and the Practica Foundation, and three RFSAs to conduct research to design a comprehensive market development strategy focusing on availability and provision of improved latrines and hand-washing related products in the Maradi and Zinder regions of Niger. A three-part learning series on using human-centered design for sanitation products GIS for market-based sanitation, and marketing sizing, including videos, based on this research is also available.
- Training Materials
- Introduction to Market-Based Sanitation Training
- Tutoriel vidéo: Processus de planification d’une stratégie de vente
- Tutoriel vidéo: Définir ses zones de vente pour les stratégies d’assainissement axées sur le marché
- Tutoriel vidéo: Localiser des points non référencés dans MyMaps
- Human-Centered Design for Market-Based Sanitation
- Lesson 3: Market Research (Supply Assessment)
- Webinar Recordings
- Key Partner Resources
- UNICEF Guidance on Market-Based Sanitation
- USAID WASHPaLS Sanitation Enterprise Viability and Sustainability Toolkits
- USAID WASHPaLS Scaling Market-Based Sanitation: Desk Review on Market-Based Rural Sanitation Development Programs
- WSP Sanitation Marketing
- iDE WASH Markets hub
- SanPlan: The Sanitation Planning Tool
- Market-Based Sanitation Decision Support Tools
- Market-Based Sanitation: The Basics