The Core Competency Series, available by individual position and in a combined booklet, was developed by staff from The Technical and Operational Performance Support (TOPS) Program with significant contributions from the various task forces of the Food Security and Nutrition (FSN) Network.
The series intends to provide hiring managers, program managers, and program staff with explanations of the basic skills and knowledge senior technical staff may possess to carry out their positions effectively. These core competencies may also be used to assess gaps in staff knowledge and prepare capacity-building plans through discussionand review of the core competency areas or through use of The TOPS Program Self-Assessment Toolkit for Effective Development Food Assistance Programming. Practitioners can insert the competencies listed for each technical area into a generic self-rating tool and adapt to their specific context. The toolkit can be found here.
This booklet (Version 4 of the combined booklet) contains core competency lists for the following technical areas and positions. Official job titles, functions, and requirements may vary based on organization and program.
- Agriculture and natural resource management: Agricultural Program Manager
- Commodity management: Commodity Manager
- Commodity management: Warehouse Manager
- Gender: Staff
- Knowledge Management: KM Advisor or Specialist
- Monitoring and evaluation: M&E Manager
- Nutrition and food technology: Nutrition Advisor or Specialist
- Social and behavioral change: SBC Advisor or Specialist
The remaining translated versions will be posted soon!